Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mike Game's Favorite Rock Albums

For all fairness, I will not include any Prince albums. Why? Because every Prince album is the best album ever in life. So hightlighting Prince will take the light off my other favorite bands and albums. Because Prince is my #1 artist of all time. Moreso than myself, Nirvana, and Ghostface Killah. And if anyone knew me, theyd know that Im saying alot in that statement


Nirvana - Nevermind

Now I know alot of people love Nirvana's Nevermind. Its quite cliche' to actually like this album. But fuck it, Im just a casual rock fan. I spend my days and nights head nodding to 808's and dj scratches. So itll take alot for me to steer away from my hip hop roots. But this album just gets me. This is the album thatll base my album around. Sure, we all love "Smells Like Teen Spirit". But cuts like "In Bloom" "Breed, and "Lithium" will grab me and ill be gone into a world of flannel shirts and dusty converses. But the somber "Something In The Way" just chills my bones. I kinda feel exactly how he felt. Who? The nigga the songs about. Kurt Cobain can grip you like that.
The Killers - Hot Fuss

Now, I cant really describe my emotions about this album totally. This is my shit. Everytime Im at the ol' CDT, and this comes in, it goes directly into the player. I dont know why, but rock albums have a better consistency than rap albums. I can honestly put this in, and listen to it straigh through, with no skips. My absolute favorite track on this is either "Somebody Told Me" or "All These Things Ive Done". "On Top" and "Midnight Show" are also key tracks. Fuck it dude, the album opener "Jenny Was A Friend OF Mine" just gets you ready for an amazing album.Oasis - (Whats The Story) Morning Glory?

Oasis, by far, my favorite rock group of all time behind Nirvana. I loved Definately Maybe, and thoroughly enjoyed Be Here Now, though it got a bad rap. Why? Because it just wasnt Morning Glory. I can say so much about this album, with its riffs and melodies. How hardcore I beasted "Wonderwall" on Rock Band. But really I just love this fucking album. And "Champagne Supernova" is going to be the song that plays in the final scene of the movie Im writing, "Confessions Of A Caucassion-Negro".

R.E.M. - Out Of Time

Now R.E.M. is another favorite of mine. I know alot of people wouldnt peg me as a R.E.M. fan. But I am, Michael Stipe is an amazing performer. I love the songs he creates. This album opens up with a song "The Radio Song", which is really about how the radio isnt playing real music anymore, just the shit labels pay them to play. This was in 91, and in 2008, 17 years later, radio still does the same gay shit. "Losing My Religion", is the really I only song I know, that fully sums up my emotions. "Shiny Happy People" is nice catchy diddy, its pretty dope, still dont know what the fuck its about.Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet

Fuck you and your mom if you say anything bad bout this album. "You Give Love A Bad Name" is the greatest rock song of the 80's. SHOT THROUGH THE HEART, AND YOURE TOO LATE. DARLING, YOU GIVE LOOOVE A BAD NAME. "Livin On A Prayer" and "Wanted" are great cuts as well. My dad used to play this shit in his blazer all the time back in the late 80s and early 90s. Im assuming late 80s because thats when it dropped, and I was a kid in the early 90s, and remember hearing this album all the time. Besides my blackness, Bon Jovi, Prince, and Garth Brooks are the only things I am proud my dad gave me. Not a fan of the long history of hypertension, diabetes, and early-set baldness that runs through his family, but Ill cross those roads when they come.

Honorable mention goes to Gun 'N' Roses "Appetite For Destruction". Apparently Im a fan of hair metal, who knew.

2 comments:

XV said...

I mean't to comment this yesterday but trying to destroy this Rockband 2 before the week is over has been kickin' my ass.

When I saw "Nevermind" at the top of this list, I wasn't even going to read the rest. But, you mentioned 'yes, it is very cliche'. In fact, I don't think alot of people understand some of the deep meanings behind some of the records. But, although it's a classic album I think you really had to grow up in the "grunge" era to understand and feel this music, which ALOT of rappers didn't.

BUT, i do agree 'The Killers- Hot Fuss' is an AMAZING album. But, it's not fucking with Sam's Town. AT ALL!!! I can't comment on the other albums because I don't fuck with R.E.M. or Bon Jovi at all, but your taste for rock isn't that bad. But I think you picked some TOP albums to be your favorites! But i dig it. Short & sweet, mine would be.

1. John Mayer- Room For Squares
2. Weezer - The Blue Album
3. The Killers - Sam's Town
4. Jupiter One - Jupiter One
5. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness

Honorable Mentions: Weezer- The Red Album. Rage Against The Machine- Evil Empire. The Moldy Peaches.

Mike Game: King MC said...

Yo son, my boss plays that Smashing Pumpkins joint all the time, its not too bad. And I totally forgot about the Weezer Blue Album. And yes, I kinda did pick some TOP rock albums to be my favorites. Because Im hip hop to the core, so when I stray, I usually take in popular opinion, then get deeper into it. I love John Mayer, but I thought posting any John Mayer too, would be cliche'. I havent heard that Weezer Red Album, but my boss, who loves Weezer, said it wasnt that good.

As far as Sam's Town to Hot Fuss, I liked Sam's Town, but I dont think it was as good as Hot Fuss. But Sawdust, that Killers album of b-sides and unreleased joints, is pretty tight.

I feel "Nevermind" though, because Im at a point in my life where I just dont know what to do, and I got that that was Kurt's feelings most of the album.

And you should check out that R.E.M. joint, if you like mellow type stuff that John Mayer does, youll love it